Saturday, January 24, 2009

Creative Commons: answers to my ?s

I was just at the ALIA Information Online conference 2009 and I took the opportunity to seek answers to some of my questions I have about Creative Commons (CC). One of the speakers was Jessica Coates who is the Project Manager of Creative Commons Australia. Jessica was at IO2009 to talk about preserving digital objects, when the act of preservation may run into conflict with copyright, but I will not go into that in this post even though it was fascinating and Jessica did a fantastic job.

I spoke to Jessica about CC after her presentation. Now I want to place a "I may have heard this wrong" statement at this point. Please feel free to correct me if I get it wrong :)

Some of the questions I asked about CC are:
  • Q: I now live in New Zealand but I am Australian so I have been using a Australian Creative Commons license. Was this the right thing to do?
  • A: Pick the jurisdiction that you would want to take legal action in if someone else happened to ignore the CC license you have selected.
  • For me that would be Australia
  • Q: I have run into problems with my blog of poetry in that I want to mostly apply a CC BY-NC-SA license to most of my posts but there are a few poems I posted that I selected the option BY-ND. What should I do in this situation and will one licence make the other void?
  • A: Place a statement on my blog along the lines that 'Most content falls under a BY-NC-SA unless otherwise stated on a post'.
  • I intend to do this as soon as I get my act together :-)
  • Q: I have made the choice of Non-Commercial (NC) for my blogs under CC. My thinking behind selecting NC was so that you the reader can copy, save, share, and remix (unless otherwise stated) most of my content but you can not then go and make money from it. Does this now mean I can not make money from what I have put under NC myself?
  • A: I can make money but others can not
These questions have been on my mind for months and I have even posted about it in the past. It was great to finally have some answers and also some ideas of how to proceed from here. Thank you Jessica :-D

The other thing I have learned about CC from experience is that if you choose to use CC on your blog, especially if you are also feeding your posts to other places, it pays to place CC on each of the posts. This means that what others can do with the content always goes with the post and/or they then do not have to scroll to the bottom to realise that as a reader they have certain rights. I realise I have not been doing this with Behind Dreaming and maybe I should.

2 comments:

Don't Be a Slut said...

Good point - I tweaked my template to automatically add the CC language below each post. And Feedburner gives you the option to display your CC terms on your RSS feed, too.

Allison Brown said...

I missed the feedbuner option of adding CC that way - I am trying to get it to work for my blog Behind Dreaming. Thanks for pointing it out :)

With my poetry blog I have added the site licence which is along the lines of what Jessica recommended and this means how feedburner adds CC to this will not work. That is alright I think I have finally figured out how to separate CC from the rest of the post.