Thursday, August 14, 2008

Feeds: sharing your blog through another site

Placing an RSS feed of your blog in other areas where you and others you know spend time online is a good way to make others aware of your blog. This can be done with many types of social networking sites that you may be currently using.

For instance, I spend a lot of time on Facebook and I wanted to be able to share my poetry that I post on my other blog To Write is to Dream with my friends, without expecting them to go to my blog all the time. I discovered that within Facebook there is an application called Notes, which you can post to and share with others your are connected to. Once you go into your Notes Settings you can import notes from an external blog. At this point add the RSS feed from your blog and save.

I know you can also create feeds that will appear in your Facebook Notes from other types of sites like a LiveJournal. However Facebook only allows you to add one blog feed to your account at a time. Once these notes begin to be imported someone within Facebook can add a comment to the post in Your Notes, though this comment will not then appear on your blog.

No comments: